My cogitative efforts are roughly split: Make the most consistently delicious and highly available ciders such as Revival Hard Apple and also make crazy one-offs. Experimental ciders find a home in my Tent Show. Because of the very-small-batch nature of these projects, I have kindly requested that club members get first crack at them. (Sometimes I make somewhat-larger batches of Tent Show ciders and sell them to my friends who own bars, but they are very hard to come across.) If you think your palate might match my own, have a tolerance for experimental flavors, and the patience to wait for rare releases, I encourage you to consider a membership in this club.
What your membership gets you:
- Access to purchase Tent Show bottles before they become available to the general public during the annual term, lasting 8 months. Many sell out on the club release day and some may consist of only a dozen cases.
- 4oz pour of every Tent Show cider released ON the release day.
- Opportunity to buy bottles right from your email and have them held up to 4 months so you don’t need to rearrange your schedule to pick up bottles.
- Opportunity to use a proxy for pickup, if you live out of town but have a cider compatriot in Portland to lend a hand.
- Invitation to the end of the year private party with nearly-all releases on tap PLUS MORE, re-releases of bottles, and a unique end-of-year Tent Show special gift.
- I will ship your Tent Show bottle purchases to you, provided you live in a state without draconian, prohibition-era alcohol laws.
- The opportunity for especially die-hard fans to join The Symposium, an invitation-only club for supremely-rare and diligently-exclusive releases consisting of, at most, 20 bottles per release. The Symposium will also be invited to special barrel-drinking and “educational” (ahem) sessions throughout the year.
If you have any questions, check out the FAQ below, or email
Q. What does 2018 look like?
Of course I’ll kick off the season with Hellfire barrel-aged Tepache; I have 2 former Deliverance Gin & Tonic barrels (even more formerly Ransom Old Tom Gin barrels) now holding 2017 Holy Water(melon); Jon Tieste’s Tonic in aquavit barrels; and 3 year barrel aged Hellfire, also known as Chocolate Thunder.
Q: How much do the bottles cost?
A: Each bottle ranges in price from $16-$32 and is available only in 750ml.
Q: How do I buy each release?
A: After joining the club, you will receive an email announcing the date for the club release event for each cider. Members are entitled to a free 4 oz pour during the club release event and may purchase bottles if they choose.
Q: What if I can’t make it to the club release event?
A: If you’re a club member, but for whatever reason you cannot join us for any club release event, I always include a “Buy Now” button (again, via PayPal) from the announcement email. However, after paying for the bottle via PayPal, you have 4 months to pick up your bottle, or we will sell it to someone else. You may also indicate a proxy person who can pick up your pre-paid bottle for you.
Q: Will bottles be available to the general public?
A: Yes. 2 weeks after the member-only club release event, extra bottles will be available to the public for sale at the taproom.
Q: Can I taste it before buying?
A: Yes. I will have one keg on tap for the member-only club release event so members can get their 4oz free taste as well as purchase glass pours of the special release. But during the release event, and any time afterwards so long as the keg keeps going, the general public is allowed to purchase a 4oz taste of that cider too, just not full glass pours. I will not allow any growler sales of any size for one of these Tent Show Bottle Club releases.
Q: Can I sign up when I’m visiting your taproom?
A: You sure can. I have a paper form available upon which you can enter your pertinent details and my excellent staff will key you into our system later. You must pay the membership fee at the time of signup, which will immediately grant you all the privileges of club membership including a free 4oz taste and the option to purchase a bottle.
Q: What other club member benefits are there?
A: At the end of the 6-month club term (late December 2018) I will throw a private party with tastes of that term’s releases and possibly sneak peaks of the next term’s releases. There’s always a member-only giveaway (2015 was an elegant snifter, ’16 was a party-only rare bottle and ’17 was a blind-bag of archived Tent Show releases).
Q: What if you have too many members and not enough bottles to go around?
A: There will always be at least one bottle per member per release, so don’t worry! All releases will have a maximum allowed number of bottles for purchase. 2018’s smallest release is Chocolate Thunder at approximately 150 bottles.
These rules are subject to change at any time and without necessarily alerting members to the change.