Like all great businesses, Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider was started in Nat’s garage (and basement) in late 2011. It was never supposed to be this popular, but apparently he struck a nerve with his unusual ciders. We made 65 barrels that first year in the garage, 650 barrels in 2013 and 2800 barrels in 2014. Now we are making about 600 barrels per month.
Our public mission is to search the world for superior ingredients to handcraft the most unusual ciders that no one else will make. We are not here to churn out commodity or entry-level cider. We are pushing the bounds of cider and believe that we have no true competitors.
Our internal mission is to change the perception of cider in the US by expanding the consumer’s expectation of “What is Cider” and including previously-ignored beer drinkers. These lofty goals are why we host large community-building events, why we use exclusively beer yeast, and why we appear in so many publications and books.
We recently signed a lease for a new much-larger production facility and have new equipment coming online in the first quarter of 2018. Our existing Operations Director is leaving us due to family obligations. We are sorry to see him go, but this is a great opportunity for someone new.
The Operations Director position is an integral role at Rev Nat’s, reporting directly to the President (Nat). Direct reports will include Cidermaking and Warehouse/Inventory. In addition to the day to day managerial responsibilities, the Ops Director will also be involved in special projects across all of operations, including expansion projects and continuous improvement projects. The ideal candidate for this role would have strong experience and demonstrated success in managing people, managing projects and making beer or cider.
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS INHERENT TO JOB
- Excellent multi-tasking and juggling of opposing needs
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to and drive a positive culture
- Effective, admired and proven manager with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter, forward-thinking and ownership of operations
- Creative problem-solver, outside-the-box thinking
- Deep understanding of beer, cider and the science of fermentation
- Expert knowledge of brewery/cidery operations and processes
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent data analytical and forecasting skills
- Working knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic, refrigeration, electrical, plumbing and building/facility systems
- Extensive spreadsheets proficiency and general computer proficiency to operate our ERP system
- Strong background managing to budget, reading P&L and understanding finances
- Evening and weekend availability, long hours, able to lift 150 lbs, stoop, kneel, crawl, twist, climb ladders, and work on slick and irregular surfaces in humidity, heat and cold
- Live in or want to move to beautiful Portland Oregon
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Make cider
- Order raw goods and ingredients and work to reduce costs of purchases.
- Schedule tanks, equipment and staff for maximum efficiency based on demands.
- Manage production team staffing (currently 8 people), supervise and delegate production tasks including morning juice trucks through to swing and graveyard packaging shifts
- Occasionally perform production/warehouse duties as needed.
- Work with Nat/Cidermaker and production team on fermentation management. Continually improve fermentations.
- Work with co-pack clients to produce their products according to their specifications
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Manage inventory
- Keep raw goods inventories as low as possible.
- Continually work with sales team on order forecasts.
- Work with executive team to develop long range forecasts.
- Manage incoming sales orders, oversee warehouse/inventory staff including logistics and freight.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Operational improvements
- Develop and maintain continuous growth plan.
- Continually develop safety standards & implement them. OSHA compliance.
- Develop and document Standard Operating Procedures.
- Develop HACCP program and implement it ahead of FDA regulations.
- Manage QA program
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: New product development
- Work with Nat/Cidermaker on new recipe development. Nothing is off limits.
- Manage new product cost calculations
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Administrative/communications
- Quarterly TTB filings. Monthly OLCC and other state reports.
- Prepare production reports for management team.
- Work with Taproom Manager to facilitate events.
- Occasionally staff events as a cidery representative.
- Work with executive team on the highest levels of branding, vision and strategy as they pertain to production.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Facilities maintenance
- Responsible for facility maintenance (either directly or through contractors) including preventative maintenance.
- Work with Nat and general contractors for buildout of new areas in our building and other buildings.
What We Offer:
- A chance to get in on the ground level of a rapidly growing company in the fastest growing alcohol category in the US.
- A work environment that combines more than 6 years of history with a continued startup mentality.
- Excellent salary DOE plus bonuses.
- Great tasting cider made with real apples and lots of it.
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Operations Director”. Without all three pieces, we cannot process your request. Thanks!